Friday, January 9, 2009

Last Year's Books, This Year's School

For a report on Mexico, see Emily's blog. I don't have access to pictures and why re-do something thats already been done well?

The first week of the semester is over! Hooray! Its Friday, so its still a school day I guess, but I have no classes Friday, so hoorah! (I still have work though. But thats fine.)

Before I actually get into how my week went, I'm going to do a somewhat belated "The Books I Read Last Year" post.
Except I'm really disorganised. Last year, when I saw everyone else's book posts, I was like, how totally awesome, I am so doing that this year!

So I started keeping track of what I read. I only wrote down titles, and I'm too lazy to look up the authors I don't remember, so look them up yourself if you're curious. Asterisks indicate favorites. If It's a re-read, I say how many times I'd read it. If its in Parenthesis, I didn't finish it.

January:
Fly By Night
Rebekah
Rachel & Leah
The Invention of Hugo Cabret

February:
To Say Nothing of the Dog*
Dragonhaven (2nd)*
Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow
The Hollow Kingdom

March:
Dogsbody
Beauty (3rd or 4th)
Mira, Mirror
Firebirds
The Princess and the Hound
Dealing with Dragons
Searching for Dragons

April:
(Calling on Dragons)

This is when I lost the list and stopped keeping track. I'm very disorganized, as I said. On our summer road trip I remember reading:

Howl's Moving Castle* (3rd and 4th)
Sorcery and Cecelia
The Eagle of the Ninth
Mr. Midshimpan Hornblower

And a few others, the titles aren't coming to mind.

Then in August I said, this disorganized thing is really dumb and I'm going to overcome it... at least in this area. So I bought a Really Pretty little book I could keep in my purse to write down the books and also a short review. Since then, I've kept track pretty faithfully. I think I missed a couple books, but this is a fairly complete list.

August
House of Many Ways
The True Meaning of Smekday
Cart and Cwidder
The Pinhoe Egg*
Chalice ARC*
Crispin
Drowned Ammet

September
(The Queen's Own Fool)
(The Secret Life of Bees)
A Swiftly Tilting Planet* (2nd)
The Spellcoats
The Crown of Dalemark

October
(Nation ARC)
Seven Daughters and Seven Sons
Among the Hidden
Emmaline and the Bunny ARC

November
Dragonhaven (3rd)
Eon: Dragoneye Reborn ARC*
Frindle
The Winter Prince*
A Coalition of Lions*
The Sunbird*

December
The Lion Hunter
Things Not Seen
The Merlin Conspiracy
Wings ARC
The Winter Prince* (2nd)


The First book of this year: The Empty Kingdom*

Thats 47 books. So, with the time I wasn't recording and the books I may have forgotten to put down, I'd that I read 50-60+ books last year.

So, this week.

I thought this semester would be less busy than last semester. Last semester I had 16.5 credits, this semester only 14.5. Not that big a difference, but still.

Well, I'm going to be just as busy this semester. Busier, in fact. For several reasons. Firstly, because I actually arranged my classes so that I can do extra activites I couldn't do last semester because classes were in the way--namely, swing dance lessons and social dance club. And if I decide I want to be even busier, I'm going to try out for one of the swing dance teams, and there goes my life. Why yes, I am insane, thanks for asking.

Another reason this semester is going to busier is that I really like ALL of my classes. I have 4 art classes, 1 religion class, and 2 fun classes. This equals homework I actually want to do and won't be convinced by my Awesome Roommates Whom I Love Too Much to do poorly/ignore in favor of having Much More Fun with them.

1 comment:

Jones Family said...

Oooh, this list has given me LOTS of good ideas! I'll be writing a few of your favorites down and taking my list to the library...thanks for the tips!